Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Stair Climb (gross motor activity)

Here is one that we started with Pumpkin before her first birthday even. This is one we do almost daily.

What you need:

-stairs

How it works:

We start at the bottom of the stairs and Pumpkin must get up the stairs however she can, with me RIGHT behind her the whole time, ready to catch her if she falls or slides. It is absolutely important that this activity is only done with an adult there and ready. To change things up, sometimes Pumpkin likes to hold my hands and walk up the stairs.

How to make this activity grow with your toddler:

For an added challenge, try helping your toddler figure out how to go down the stairs safely. We started this within the past few weeks over here. I start by telling her to go down on her but and she will grab onto my arm and work her way close to the stairs then sit on the top step. I will slide down one step and wait for her to copy while clinginging tightly to my arm.  This has been a great exercise in safety for my daughter as she no longer attempts to walk down any stairs. At grandma's house there are two short steps between their living room and kitchen and my daughter will get on her but by the stairs everytime when she wants to go down. She has gotten good enough at it that we allow her to freely go up and down those steps (only those steps cuz it's such a short fall).